Okay guys. I expect a detailed photo log of how awesome and beautiful the trip to Ubin was.
Update prease~!
Left-in-Singapore-Chuu.
For those who are often pressed for time yet yearning a getaway to a land with fresh air and a slower pace of life, Ubin is definitely the place to visit! The moment the boat sets off, it already feels like you're somewhere else because old boats from the 60s/70s that looks rugged are rare and few these days in SIngapore, where everything needs to be new, modern and advanced. Even though we do not have blue waters, but I must say that the horizon looks gorgeous no matter which sea you're traveling on, gaze at the sky and admire how vast and open your surroundings are. It is really something to behold especially when we're constantly surrounded by skyscrapers. Upon reaching the island, you'll be greeted with fresh air and lots of bicycle rental shops and seafood places and a lot of mongrels. If you're pressed for time, lazy yet don't want to miss out on anything, I suggest you flag a local taxi and get the experts to bring you around the whole island. If you're thinking of burning a few hundred calories, rent a bicycle and start pedaling your way around!
The main purpose of our visit was Chek Jawa Wetlands. The journey to and fro was a fascinating and enjoyable experience with encounters with mushrooms, geckos, butterflies and birds but nothing could beat the feeling when exploring the mangroves and coastal area on foot. Even though we didn't manage to witness the coral bed and sea creatures due to the midday high tide, we saw tiny crabs with huge claws and tiny bodies crawling out of their burrows. We also saw fishes and wild boars/Black pigs.
Another thing I enjoyed was the people I have encountered. The boats, bicycle rentals hops and F&B outlets are all operated by middle aged and elderly folks. They are what we reckon as the 'lower educated' people yet they are so honest, hospitable and caring. They seem truly happy and free. I love watching the uncles ferrying us to and fro the island, they truly care about the passengers' safety and they seem so contented with life and their job and money doesn't seem to matter. All they need is their partner, the rugged boat and they are free to explore the seas as they please. To us, it seems like they have very little, but they seem so happy and contented. I feel really "urbanized" to always be carrying my phone with me and texting, checking the time, hoping GPS works.
I highly encourage a trip to Ubin personally to experience it all. In fact, one day isn't enough to appreciate everything the island has to offer. But words certainly doesn't do the experience justice.
Yours Truly,
Ave, still yearning for a vacation
No comments:
Post a Comment